the World is under my feet

the World is under my feet
screen shot from the movie 'Elizabeth the Golden Age'

Tuesday 26 July 2011

The Island of Lost Maps

Title: The Island of Lost Maps - A True Story of Cartographic Crime
Author: Harvey, Miles
Publisher: Random House
Year of publish: 2000
Place of publish: New York
ISBN: 0-965-004057




The book title caught my eyes and my curioty drove me to buy it home.

There are many kinds of thieves in reality. But I didn't realize that someone are so addict to maps and this reason drove (or drives) them to be a map-thief. I must confess that this book is a bit fiction-like to me even though the story is real and it happened. I don't have any negative meaning to categorize it as a fiction-like work. What I really want to say is that Miles Harvey used an easy-to-understand and interesting approach to describe the 'strange' story. The readers who don't know much about map collection and cartography can also follow the story without hassle. I really appreciate. I was still quite new in map collecting when i first read this book in 2008 so I could not imagine the situation happened in the unfortunate libraries. But the more I see beautiful maps, the more I would like to become a 'clever' map-thief. Just kidding. However I can see the addiction of those greedy eyes and those temptations.

The design of the book is neat, font types are elegant, and the note and plates are sufficient.

http://www.milesharvey.com/islandoflostmaps.shtml





No comments:

Post a Comment